The term ‘root canal’ is often associated with a treatment delivered by endodontists. But a root canal is not just a treatment but part of the structure of a tooth. It is the hollow part of the tooth that contains blood vessels, nerve tissue, and other cells, called the pulp.
The pulp nourishes the tooth and offers moisture to the surrounding material. The nerves in the dental pulp have the capacity to sense hot or cold as well as pain.
The dental procedure called Root Canal treatment in Ernakulam is, in reality, an endodontic therapy which means ‘inside the tooth’.
What is a root canal?
The human tooth consists of an outer layer of enamel, a middle layer of dentin, and a soft inside called the dental pulp. When there is decay in the tooth and reaches the softcore, the pulp becomes infected or inflamed, and it can even die. This issue needs to be fixed, and a root canal is required to save the tooth and clean the decay.
A Root Canal is a treatment to get rid of the bacteria from the infected root canal and prevent any additional infection. After the removal of the infected pulp, the inside of the tooth is disinfected and cleaned with care, and a filling is then placed for sealing the space. Thus, root canal treatment helps to save natural teeth.
Symptoms: The best way to know whether you need root canal treatment is to consult a dentist. If required, he will refer you to an endodontist who is a specialist in root canal therapy.
But you can also always keep a watch on the following warning signs that indicate the need for treatment by an endodontist:
- Persistent tooth pain
- Discoloration of tooth
- Sensitivity to cold and hot food
- Swollen gums
- Cracked or chipped tooth
- Pain on touching the tooth
- The loose feeling of the tooth
- Gums having pimples
- Exceeding pain while biting or chewing
The diagnosis will be confirmed after the endodontist takes X-rays of the teeth.
Root canal doctors Ernakulam or endodontists specialize in the treatment of dental pulp. The therapy will proceed in the following ways:
- An x-ray will be taken to know any signs of infection in the dental pulp and surrounding bone. The shape of the root canals will also be determined. The dentist will administer local anaesthesia for numbing areas near the tooth. You will remain awake during the therapy but will not sense any pain due to the anaesthesia.
- A rubber dam will be placed surrounding the infected tooth to keep the area dry and free from saliva.
- After the tooth becomes numb, the endodontist will create a small hole at the top of the tooth (crown) using a laser or drill.
- After this, he will remove the damaged pulp and bacteria using special tools called ‘files’. The whole area will be scrubbed clean, including the sides of the root canal. There will follow spraying of water or sodium hypochlorite in the area to flush away any debris.
- Once the area is cleaned, the endodontist will fill the canal with bio-compatible material called Gutta- Percha. It is attached to the canal using adhesive cement. Next, the opening is filled.
- Lastly, the endodontist will recommend any additional restoration work needed by the tooth-like placing crown.
In sum, these are all the top facts about root canal treatment.